Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Leaving Singapore

I hope from these blog posts, my readers have gotten to know me better.  If you do, than you know that my time in Singapore meant a lot to me, more than I truly knew.  I was living there for three years and a half total.  I had found a life for myself there and loved every second of it.  I know that sometimes things hurt, life throws you a fastball and you swing-and-miss.  But then you always get back up to take another swing.  Sometimes it throws ya two fastballs and you swing-and-miss.  But then there is the last chance you got, the last fastball.  Instead, then life throws you a curve and you hit it out of the park!

This is what I need to do with coming back the America.  I know that Singapore will always be my home but now I am back to where I grew up... a place of memories and old friends.

Having an asian appearance, Singapore brought out my love of my own culture, seeing everyone around me look like me.  It made my heart soar to look like I belong.  I found that deep inside, I hated looking like a tourist, looking gullible and uneducated in the ways of others.  I disliked it a lot and I always wanted to appear as though I fit in, even when I sometimes had no idea what I was doing.

Moving back to the US seemed like a much bigger jump that I expected.  My family was supportive and love me not matter what.  That thought helped a lot and gave me courage to come back with my head held high.

One of the most difficult things was saying goodbye to my teachers.  I love and cherish school so much that it pains me to leave them.  Even when I move up a grade, I always want to stay in touch with them.  Then, I had to MOVE!  I would not be able to see them for many years...  This was really hit me.

Then friends...  In Singapore I had built myself into the social network through kind and generous people I had met.  I thankfully will be able to keep in contact with them.  :)

Anyways, I will my Singapore because of the deep cultural power it possessed, the ability to have such an international group residing there but does not expect anyone to even slightly reform to better merge the cultural ethnicity of the country.  Instead, the government decreed the official language as English in hopes of allowing everyone to be able to communicate on equal grounds.  Also the religion is not official, but Christianity, Hinduism, and Islam is predominant.

The difference of Singapore to America is that even by living in the United States, there is an underlying (in my opinion) will to slightly become more 'American' or Americanize an individual so that they might appear to be more involved in the broad culture.  I know that America is the Land of the Free and Home of the Brave but still, there seems to be a status-quo culturally.  Yes, there are places and areas designated for certain cultures like China Town or Little India, but the culture and kind of people there are Americanized.  Now going into a Chinese restaurant after being in Singapore, eating with authentic Chinese people, the food here is completely alien to me.  The Chinese Food Americans consume is not even close to what really is fed in China.  Yes, they have some of the names right, but most of the food has been manufactured to the general appeal and conception that Americans have of Asian cuisine.

I am not making the point that ALL American foreign food is wrong or not authentic, but the perception of the outside world to the average American who has not been outside the United States is slightly skewed.  I am also NOT saying that Americans are uneducated or not aware, but that they sometimes lack the cultural depth that comes with travel or experience.

I also am not saying that Americans are too proud to go out and seek other places or cannot afford to do so, but I would encourage people to take a chance.  I am also saying this to any person around the world to go out and at least look into what is out there, see what other people are doing and how they are living.  One truly does not know how important such experiences are in their later life.

Take this from a child who has been FORTUNATE ENOUGH (thank you Mom and Dad) to go out and see these things.  Yes, there are a lot of things I do not know or have seen, but I have been given and discovered the want and utter desire to know them, the experience them.  Looking through another's eyes at the own country or culture is truly something that can never be told or explained.  It must be lived with open eyes.

This is one of the major reasons I am fortunate to be back in the United States, but another reason for me to miss Singapore.  Everyone there had at least been to another country (even if it was just Malaysia or Indonesia), tried new foods, or done something which allowed them to know at least one other culture.  This allowed the community to be a little more open and liberal to new foreigners coming in and making a new name for themselves.  In fact, Singapore was founded by the British, which already had immersed a whole new culture into the natives' lives.

Again, I hope this post did NOT offend anyone.  I love the American way and the dream that they have made for themselves, but in all due respect and honesty, I wish deeply that there was a charity or organization which gave those who could not afford it the chance to leave the country and see other things, deepen their understanding of the world around them.

I know that this is not my TRUE calling, but I hope that what I achieve in my later years will allow me to incorporate this ideal into my life's work: education.

In total, my experience overseas and in Singapore especially has helped me understand the way this world works and other opertunities to define who I am as a person and how I impact the community around me.  I want to take this time to thank those who went on that journey with me in Switzerland or Singapore, or even back in the United States, supporting me and guiding me.  You all have truly helped mould me into who I have become today.  Thank you!

And you readers... You have given me the courage and ability to flower my thoughts as seeds into your minds.  I hope that one day you all shall understand my purpose for writing my thoughts out on this blog, as so many others do too.

Thank you all for taking the time to try and understand me and what I write.  Please continue to read and keep up with my work.  :)  Share and comment your ideas.  Thanks again.  Much love from me.  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment