Thursday, October 17, 2013

Pride

Sometimes people will ask me to explain what pride is.  Pride is something felt and not really meant to be understood.  That is the whole aspect of its existence.  It can be something dangerous and something tantalising.  Many things come along with pride and well, I wrote something about it in class and want to expand a bit more here:

Pride can be dangerous, as it is something to protect or respect.  It kills men through anger and hate but saves people through learning to manage those negative feelings.  As pride is something to be gained, it is also something that is to be understood.  To me, pride is just another feeling of self esteem but in a more honorary form.  It is similar to chivalry in my mind (as a fencer) because if someone wrongly shames you in a bout, your pride is stung by theirs so you want to regain your pride or honor.


I was once talking to my little sister about some topic that I knew a lot about.  I asked her something specific about it to tease her about how much she didn’t and that she should listen to her elders when they speak to her (all in good fun of course).  Much to my surprise, she got it right and talked as though she fully understood what I was talking and learning about.  We had been learning about eating right in healthy and she had learned more about proteins and carbohydrates than me!  When she outgrew me on the subject, my pride was stung and I felt bad about myself.  Sooner than I thought, I got to talk to her about a sport which she didn’t know about but instead of teasing her, I explained it to her so she would understand it and learn.


Also, there is the negative type of pride that certain people can posses.  It is when they stick their nose up at you or shame you for just being you.  This is because on the inside they are insecure but on the outside, they have built themselves a protective shell of this false pride emotion.  It makes them feel better than everyone else and to them, we are all just underlings.  Now, I once saw two girls, VERY popular girls walk past each other in the hallway (this was at another school).  They bumped into each other, thinking the other was going to move out of the way for them.  Clearly their egos were too high in the sky and they had too much false pride...


pride= doing something wrong and fessing up...

pride= doing the right thing even though it might hurt.....  why...


Although, pride does teach you to be humble. Perhaps one day we can let go of our pride because it also connects us back to our egos and that messy stuff. People who often disregard their own egos are the ones who are shunned of thought strangely of. I think those people should be commended for their sacrifice and brave standing on life. Are any of my readers one of them, because I always strive to be. I hope I will be when I am fully grown, ridden of my pride and concept of ego.

No comments:

Post a Comment