Thursday, October 17, 2013

Getting Along With Someone

When I try to talk about this, one quote comes to mind: “climb into his skin and walk around in it” (from To Kill a Mocking Bird) and it means to think or see from [that/ a person’s] point of view and think on it a while.  It is significant to everyday life because as human beings, we are entitled to our own unique opinions, thoughts, and in order not to be judgmental or be judged, we must exercise this principle.


In my lifetime, I have had to deal with this quote directly.  I first found of it’s common theme through the Bible readings in church.  I was a little girl and I stumbled upon the actual passage when I would read between the pews.  In my life, I always try to understand other people before myself, finding out more about them and understanding the way they ‘tick’.  It does come in handy when you are talking about what you are passionate about because you can empathise with the other person or people listening.  From this one can alter what they are saying just slightly to capture your audience's attention.  For example, you would not cure the academic facilities if you were talking to the superintendent but you would explain the negatives and some positives.  Overall, this quote has allowed me to think through and deeply into what I say and how I share my ideas about the world and what we are doing on it.


Another time when I was slapped, one could say by this quote, was when I forgot about using or thinking about it.  I was much younger, elementary school, when I wanted to go down the slide first.  There was a little boy in front of me and I gently shoved him out of the way so I could go.  When I got home and told my mom about how I was always first on the slide.  She reminded me about this themed aspect of life from the quote.  Not only does it affect when we speak to people but also how we act and think about things or people.

No comments:

Post a Comment