Saturday, May 30, 2015

Translation of Richard III's Solilioguy in "Richard III" AI, Sc1

Translation of Richard’s Soliloquy
I, 1
Now is our problem,
Exemplified by the sun of York,
And all a the troubles are falling to our family,
In this house.
Now we are blinded by out victories,
Our battered armor hung on memorials,
Grim-visage war settled,
And now instead of preparing for war
To fight against the weaker,
We stay in our chambers
To have sex.
But I, I am not interested in sex,
Nor court these ladies for my appearance,
But I clumsily fashioned my love
To walk before my love,
But I am fearful of this presentation,
Cheated on and depressed at my appearance,
Sent ugly
In to this world
Where I am so depressed and afraid
That even animals scorn me.
Even in this time of peace,
I have no want to sleep away these nights,
Unless I become handsome,
And finally feel confidant.
So, I can be no lover,
To kill the time,
I am determined to go against the current,
And be jealous of others.
I have schemed,
Through dreams and visions of the future,
I sent my brother to see the king,
With distasteful reasonings,
And if Edward is as I thought,
As I am evil,
Clarence will surely succeed in making mischief,
In the prophecy I see,
Where I murder Edward’s heirs.


No comments:

Post a Comment