Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Poem Collection - Some written by me - Some written by others


Poems written by Elena Morey (me):

Tick, Tock
3.

2.

1.

Hurtle to green and blue earth.
Crash landing.
Not broken,

yet.

Downward spiral,
fall into black hole.
Crowd of haters.

Tic.

Plutonium
swirl and swish,
the toxic flammable
crystal blue mouthwash,
ready to light the
wooden dominoes.
“Yes, she said-”

Tic tic.

Clench ground
beneath my
metallic container.
 “-alone-”

Tic tic tic.

Hold back heat waves.
Atoms mixing
and vibrating.
 “-no more-”

Tic tic tic tic.

Wire twirled together
like shoe-lace candy
of blue and red colors.
“-can’t be friends!”

Tic tic tic tic tic.

Ground shake.
Lose control.
 “-go away!”

Tic tic tic tic tic tic.

Signals connect
from HQ.
 “-rumours-”

Tic tic tic tic tic tic tic.

Clack, clack, clack.
vhmmmm.
vhmmmm.
vhmmmm.
World spiraling into darkness.
Heat melting
titanium cage.
 “It’s not them.  It’s you!”

Tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic.

Smash red button in corner,
shattering glass
case covering it,
marked with yellow zebra lines.
Glass flies through the air,
like tiny bees,
biting into the flesh of the hand that
disturbed the hive.
Eyes tightly closed.
Fists clenched.
Beast becoming...

BOOM.

This poem’s meaning is revolved around pain and self reflection during hard times with friends.  It is about how the person/ bomb cannot take what is going on and just loses it or explodes.  The italics stand for the things that are in real life and the rest is in the extended metaphor about the bomb.  I used a lot of sound devices such as alliteration when I repeated the tic, tic, tic which is also onomatopoeia.  Also, I started in a place where the bomb is rocketed into orbit and I end when the bomb explodes.  My beginning is intriguing because I start with the numbers counting down from 3.  I find that is what brings my reader into the extended metaphor.

Green Leaf in December
What does it mean to be on your own?
To stand,
waiting
for something to happen.
Or is it when no one understands you,
they just can’t get
inside your head.

But maybe it’s when you’re caught,
stuck inside the
never ending
twist and turns of
the maze you built,
from the depth of the dark,
unexplored corners of your
immense mind,
when no one can join you,
when no one
wants to.

What does it mean to be on your own?
To pose,
no one at your side?
Perhaps it is when you are
at a disagreement,
and no one takes
your side.

What does it mean to be on your own?
To hear your own thoughts
bounce around
inside your skull,
while you run from
the large,
rambling,
intimidating factory,
collecting your thoughts like
sheep,
forcing the wool from their backs,
then spitting them out-of-the-way,
letting them run off into
darkness,
back into the maze.

Or maybe to be
driven insane by the
silence,
that irreplaceable essence,
absent forever.

Or maybe it is just
reading this poem to
myself,
unjudged
and
free.

 This poem delivers a deep sense of individuality, not just being alone.  It is almost like a silent battle with being yourself and fitting in but not being happy.  This poem is quite slow and made up of many strong beats, slowing the tempo.  I was inspired by past experiences and my deep feelings.  I do have a high sense of individuality but yet I do know the feelings of being alone.  I guess my message in this poem is about the drawbacks of being an individual.

Laugh On, Even if You are the Only One
These are the birds,
whose sweet voices
have faded.
These are the ants,
who seem too small
for anything.
These are the caged animals,
given up hope of
freedom.

Arise.

These are the eagles,
whose wings have
been clipped.
These are the frogs,
who have forgotten
their spring.
These are the flowers,
whose petals
have been painfully picked.

Arise.

For all who
no longer believe,
those who
can’t go
on,

Arise.

Hope has not abandoned us,
there is
and escape from the
decollate
Island of Misfit Toys,
there is
a life out there
for you.
No matter how long we wait,
how hard we look,
a small crack
will appear
in that
thick
glass
wall,
where we can gaze at
those people,
who think they are
so much better than
us,
from our
silent solitude,
when they can’t seem to
look
back.
When they
don’t
want
to.

Arise.

No longer shall
any of us be summarized,
looked at like aliens in our
own land.
All that
must
be done is to
Arise,
and pull the
outsiders
in,
for no longer will the
Island of Misfit Toys exist
if
we
all

Arise.

 This poem was written after the poem, Green Leaf in December and is about rising up against the ‘status quo’ and finding yourself.  Although, sometimes people don’t like you for who you have chosen to be.  Even though they shun you, you find yourself wanting to stay an individual.  This poem means a lot to me at the moment because Middle school and High school are about finding who you are and about how you are a piece of the world.  Sometimes people don’t understand and can’t except you.  The person in this poem is finding other people like her self and they join together to make an impact.

Poems written by others that I love:

This is Not a Love Poem
This is not a love poem no way
you need big words for that
like “luminous” and “eternity”
you need lots of serious rhyme
or at least iambic pentameter
you need merciless starts
deserts on moonless nights
foamy surf on gusty beaches
you need to get smashed
into such tiny fragments
you can only use the small i
when you write
i love you.

Teenagers
One day they disappear,
into their rooms.
Door and lips shut
and we become strangers
in our own home.

I pace the hall, hear whispers,
a code I knew but cannot remember,
mouthed by mouths I taught to speak.

Years later the door opens.
I see faces I once held,
open as a sunflower in my hands.
I see familiar skin now stretched in long bodies
that move past me
glowing almost like pearls.

By:  Pat Mora

 In Pat Mora’s poem, Teeagers, the poet talk about watching your children grow up.  She brings down the mood by slowing the tempo by using more strong beats and metaphors and similes to deepen the initial meaning.  Also, her poem really connects to me because she explains the process of letting your child go.  I am about to go through this with my parents when I go into High school.
 Mora uses more strong beats then rests because when there are more rests, the poem moves faster and lifts the mood.  Such examples stem from Dr Seuss’ writing.  Slowing the moon is represented in one of Mora’s lines:
    u   /    /  u     u     /  u    /   u     u  /     /        u  u       /
“Years later the door opens.  I see faces I once held,”.
 Mora uses similes and metaphors to connect things to how she feels about the bond with her children.  In this line, glowing almost like pearls.”, she uses a metaphor for she uses ‘like’.  She is referring to her emotions and how proud she is because when someone is proud, they often glow.  Pearls are also a very expensive, valuable, and beautiful things, as a child would be to their parents.  Also, Mora uses a simile here in this line, “see faces I once held,open as a sunflower in my hands.”.
 Finally, and most importantly, Mora’s poem really connects to me through her message.  This poem seems to give me a glimpse of what it to come in my life from the parent’s perspective, when I go to High school.  I find that there is so much truth in the way Mora writes the poem.  The line that really helped me understand my own parents was this one, I pace the hall,  hear whispers, a code I knew but cannot remember,”.  This shows me about the pain and stress parents feel once seeing their children grow up and the big gulp they have to take to let them go at the right age.  I found that  the initial emotion I was left with was awe and pride in who I am going to be.

Poems I Like to Read:

Years of Solitude
To the one who sets a second place
at the table
anyway.

To the one at the back of the
empty bus.

To the ones who name each piece
of stained glass projected on a
white wall.

To anyone convinced that a monologue is
a conversation with
the past.

To the one to who losses with the
deck he marked.

To those who are destined to inherit
the meek,

to us.

By: Dionisio D. Martinez

No comments:

Post a Comment